Nursing issues

Register Forgot your password?

Is it mostly RN's working in Emergency??

You need to be logged in to get access to the forums. You can do so here

Author Is it mostly RN's working in Emergency??




  • Joined: May 2010
  • Location: NSW
  • Posts: 31

Tue May 18, 2010 8:05 pm

I could be wrong, but looking at nursing jobs advertised online and also from the times I've been to the A&E, it seems like most of the nurses in Emergency are RNs rather than EEN's, is this true? I'm just curious about this, sorry if i am completely wrong here, not meaning to make assumptions... lol.

Upcoming RN


  • Joined: Dec 2010
  • Location:
  • Posts: 42

Dec 19, 2010, 09:14 pm Last edited Dec 19, 2010, 09:14 pm update #1

I do believe that most of the nursing staff employed by Australian emergency departments are registered (div 1) nurses. Although Endorsed Enrolled Nurses (div 2) have traditionally been employed in aged care, their scope of practice is expanding and they can now be employed in ED, ICU, coronary care and surgical wards. A lot of EENs are employed in aged care. Some hospital policies do not allow EENs to administer or monitor medications in certain departments, which partially explains why there are not a lot of EENs working in ED. EEN employment could grow in this area.

modified: Friday 24 December 2010 10:48:16 am - Upcoming RN



  • Joined: Jan 2009
  • Location:
  • Posts: 239

Feb 04, 2011, 04:04 pm

@ Upcoming RN, you are correct...yes there are EENs in ICU and ED but considering the fact that they are still limited in certain things that they are allowed to do. EENs are not allowed to administer drips, change mechanical ventilation settings and etc. Hence, whilst there are EENs in these departments, their ratio is much lesser than RNs. There is also another reason for this...those working in ICU and ED must complete a 1 year transition course to become certified for their job. The transition course is different between ED and ICU. Example - ED does not usually use infusion pumps or mechanical ventilators as in ICU. ICU drugs are generally administered in mcg and safety is a big concern.

Because the transition program forms part of the post graduate cert or diploma, one has to be an RN as a pre-requisite.



  • Joined: Jun 2011
  • Location:
  • Posts: 3

Jun 12, 2011, 10:43 am

Actually I know quite a lot of EEN's working in the ED depatment.
Schizo EEN's are allowed to administer drips once the relevant education has been completed!



  • Joined: Jun 2013
  • Location:
  • Posts: 4

Mar 19, 2015, 12:15 pm

Hi, I am an Enrolled Nurse and have recently been excepted into ED. There are apparently 5 of us Enrolled Nurses out of 200 staff working in the Emergency Department in a major public hospital in WA.

You need to be logged in to get access to the forums. You can do so here